TGH Outpatient Rehabilitation at TGH Medical Village
Tampa General Hospital outpatient rehabilitation at TGH Medical Village offers chronic pain management for adults, including pelvic floor, biofeedback and physical therapy.
Physical therapists play an important role in managing chronic pain by administering treatments that include strengthening and flexibility exercises, manual therapy, posture awareness, and body mechanics instruction. Physical therapists can also help patients understand the underlying causes of their pain, by educating them and giving them tools to self-manage their pain.
Biofeedback is a technique intended to teach patients self-regulation of certain physiologic processes not normally considered to be under voluntary control. Biofeedback methods include:
- Heart rate - This type of biofeedback uses finger or earlobe sensors with a device called a photoplethysmograph or sensors placed on your chest, lower torso or wrists using an electrocardiograph (ECG) to measure your heart rate and heart rate variability.
- Muscle - This method of biofeedback involves placing sensors over your skeletal muscles with an electromyography (EMG) to monitor the electrical activity that causes muscle contraction. Sweat glands. Sensors attached around your fingers or on your palm or wrist with an electrodermograph (EDG) to measure the activity of your sweat glands and the amount of perspiration on your skin, alerting you to anxiety.
- Temperature - Sensors attached to your fingers or feet measure your blood flow to your skin. Because your temperature often drops when you're under stress, a low reading can prompt you to begin relaxation techniques.
Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy
Pelvic floor rehabilitation employs a variety of strategies to improve the capacity of the muscles through neuromuscular reeducation. This treatment may include but is not limited to:
- EMG biofeedback with Internal and/or external surface electrodes
- Rehabilitative ultrasound imaging
- Instruction in the use of home EMG muscles monitors
- Pelvic muscle electric stimulation
- Electrical stimulation for pain relief/control
- Vaginal weight training
- Postural stabilization